Sunday, March 2, 2014

Return to Utah

If you’ve been checking this blog lately in a futile search for news from the UAA Ski Team, you’re likely wondering if Lukas or Etienne took over the writing of the blog, considering the lack of posts lately. But the plain truth is the team’s been on the road and moving too fast for me to keep track of them.

Trying to keep up with the team from Anchorage obviously wasn't working out, so I decided to catch a plane to Salt Lake City to track them down. The UAA alpine team was on the same plane as me so that made things easier. 
On the climb out of Anchorage this morning
Awwwwwwww... Who knew alpiners could be so cute!  Niko and Cedric getting cozy.
I arrived at the UAA team palace to find that Synnove and Mackenzie had prepared a three-course gourmet meal of bacon-wrapped asparagus, cordon bleu, and strawberry cake for the team.  I have to admit that I haven't eaten so well since the last time I traveled with the UAA Ski Team.  Each night, a different pair of athletes takes responsibility for dinner, and apparently there's become a bit of competition to see who can cook the best meal for the team.
This photo doesn't do it justice.  The team dinner was truly exquisite.
Lately, I've been so busy announcing ski jumping competitions, traveling around Alaska for work, fixing broken household appliances and automobile parts, buying another motorcycle, racing in the US master's championships, and doing radio interviews that the past few weeks have gone by in a blur.  It's going to be nice to just be in one place for a week, focusing on our team's performance at NCAA nationals. It feels great to be back with the team - greeting them this evening felt like family.

By the way, if you have nothing to do and would like to torture yourself for an hour, you can hear Toby Schwoerer (former UAA Ski Team All-American) and me talk about backcountry skiing on the radio here at this link.

2 comments:

  1. I've been missing the updates lately... But I do understand you have a work too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Lasse. For the last couple weeks, I actually showed up at my office and did some stuff. But I've put that all behind me now, so the blog posts are going to be coming fast and furious for a bit. We'll be thinking of you during NCAA week, Lasse. I know you'd enjoy it here in Soldier Hollow - you've always loved this place. Hopefully you can enjoy looking at pictures of it from afar.

    ReplyDelete