Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ski Racer / Firefighter

Cara McCulloch is a new UAA skier for 2012 from Smithers, British Columbia, Canada.  Smithers is located on the eastern side of the Coast Mountains in central BC, just about as close as you can get to Alaska without actually being in Alaska.  I don't know much about Smithers other than what I saw on Google Earth a few minutes ago, but Smithers sure looks like a nice place; the kind of place I'd like to go on a motorcycle trip. 
I don't know who the kid is.

Cara has spent the past couple of years studying at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.  Downtown Vancouver doesn't get a lot of snow, and it is my understanding that Cara has been doing a lot more running for the track team than skiing for the ski team.  According to Andrew, Cara has been missing skiing and is looking forward to living somewhere that allows her to ski more and run less. I didn't get much information out of Andrew before he left for Colorado, though he did tell me that Cara works during the summers as a firefighter, rapelling in to forest fires from a helicopter.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about that!

I lifted this photo off the University of British Columbia track team website.

No comments:

Post a Comment