Monday, July 15, 2013

Summertime Rolls (Part 2)

For the past couple of weeks, I've wracked my brain for a UAA Ski Team blog topic, but there's just.... nothing.  When most of the team are out of town and the remaining athletes are training with their respective summer training groups here in town - Alaska Winter Stars and Alaska Nordic Racing - and even the head coach goes on vacation to Colorado, there's not much left but sunshine, sunshine, warm weather and more sunshine here in Alaska.

So I'll post a few pictures for now.  But between now and late August, the blog posts will likely be few and far between because there's not much UAA Ski Team news for me to report on when everybody's doing their own thing for the summer.

Here are some photos I found on Facebook:

Andrew spent the weekend at the Fireweed 400 bike race between Sheep Mountain and Valdez.

A typical scene from the road.  I think this is probably Richardson Glacier.


Photo
It's my understanding that Davis is the proud new owner of this airplane. And yes, he does keep it in his driveway at home.

Davis in his element.

Photo
The Black Knight.  "It's just a flesh wound!"

There's only been about one rainy day this summer and this was it, so here's a picture of it.  Hiking near Anchorage.

Scenes from the trail...

Chugach rock is notoriously rotten.

When it's sunny I just can't bring myself to go in the office for work, so I set up my office on my deck.  I've spent a lot of time this summer at my "deck office".

And finally, the craziest of all:  When I finished "serious racing" a couple of decades ago, I was so happy that I'd NEVER have to go rollerskiing again.  And I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm actually beginning to like it again.  I've gone rollerskiing three times already this summer, and it's only July 15! I might even go again next week!  Here's a scene from the rollerski trail along Turngain Arm.  What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment