Friday, January 27, 2012

Unalaska

I had to skip UAA ski practice for a couple days so I could travel to Unalaska for work.  If anyone ever offers you a free plane ticket to Unalaska, take it!  Even after fourteen years of frequent travel to Unalaska / Dutch Harbor and the Aleutian Islands, I never cease to be stunned every time I step off the airplane.  There's no other place like it. Some people consider Unalaska Island a desolate, windswept outpost, but I think it's one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Downtown:

There's fantastic backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Unalaska.  You can ski right down to the beach.  Literally.

The Aleutian Islands are known for their nasty Bering Sea storms.  The big shipping crane on the left of the photo below is a replacement crane for the one just like it that blew down last year in a storm.

Unalaska was bombed by the Japanese in World War II.  That's a concrete "pillbox" in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment