Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Travails

It's a really hard life being a journalist like me and writing this blog. Of course the pay is fantastic, beyond my wildest dreams. But the travel required for this job is really taxing because I constantly have to get on airplanes and travel to faraway places to chase down stories and research information.  To be honest, I only took this job for the money.  But the travel that's being demanded of me is wearing me down.

For example, I needed to be in Summit County, Colorado last week to cover the alpine team training camp, and was unable to be at the Nordic team's first set of races in Anchorage. So, like the rest of you, I had to settle for watching the Alaska Cup races on television.

http://www.goseawolves.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?ATCLID=211686396&SPSID=58421&SPID=6369&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13400&id=6227652


http://www.goseawolves.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13400&SPID=6369&SPSID=58421&DB_OEM_ID=13400

During the media's coverage of the event, it came to light that the traveling trophy for the Alaska Cup was designed and produced by Jim Burkholder.  Obviously, this was a detail that required more research.

The Alaska Cup trophy is that blue ski that our team is holding.
So I tried to track down Burky for an interview at his home at the edge of Kincaid Park in Anchorage, only to find that he and Sally had left town for a vacation in Hawaii. So, having just arrived home from Colorado, I packed my boardshorts and slippahs and got on a plane to Maui. Of course I'd have rather stayed at home in Anchorage, but I couldn't come up with an excuse to get out of coming to Maui to interview Burky.

Here's where I found Burky.  But somehow, so far away from snow, we just didn't feel much like talking about ski trophies and cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment