Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hibernation

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year. It's only going to get lighter from here on out.  This is the time of the year that makes curious people like Hanna ask "If a polar bear and a brown bear were to get romantically involved and have a baby together, would the little cub hibernate during the winter or not?" 

This is the season of SAD.** 

It's the season of cabin fever.  

Is Andrew dreaming up the perfect combination of kick, glide, flourination and structure? Probably... yes.
I have the kind of job where I don't have to set an alarm and get up early for work. I can sleep until whenever, and stumble into the office when the mood strikes me. Nevertheless, I'm usually having breakfast by 7:30 or so. But the other day I woke up and looked at the clock and it said 9:30! How had I slept so long? I looked out the window and it was still dark outside.  I went back to sleep.  

It's the season of hibernation. 

Hey Andrew!  It's a lot more cozy in there if you close the lid!
On this winter solstice weekend, we had a couple ski races here in Anchorage. A lot of the UAAers were there. They seemed to be awake and had the energy to ski a bunch of laps around the snowmaking loop at Kincaid Park. 

They also had energy to dance between sprint heats.  I remember this dance from the mid-'90s. It's called the Macarena. Didn't know the kids are still doing it. (Notice the poor people desperately trying to get past this nonsense to/from the bathrooms.)

Meanwhile, the coaching staff...
IT'S NAP TIME!!!
(If you're not on the UAA ski team this year, you won't understand the "NAP TIME!" inside joke. Sorry.)

The coaches got their job done.  I heard nothing but glowing reviews about the glide or the grip. But I saw nothing but winter hibernation.

**Seasonal Affective Disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment