Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Ice Capades

School's out for Christmas, and things have gotten pretty quiet around the UAA campus these days. Our recent weather has left us with a handful of mediocre options. There's the snowmaking loop at Kincaid. It's got good snow but there's only so many 2-km laps you can do before you start getting kind of bored. Marine skied with her husband at Hillside today on rock skis. She said it was fantastic skiing, groomed "like World Cup conditions" as long as you didn't look down at the snow and see all the rocks you were skiing over. She said a pair of skis would last about two or three sessions before being ground down to the bindings. Fortunately, she's got some skis that are perfect for those conditions. As for me, I've been ice skating and riding my fat bike on the ice around town a lot lately since I only have a couple pairs of rock skis and want to keep them in pristine condition, and I can only handle so many Kincaid laps before I start to lose my mind. 

A bunch of Skiwolves went north of town with Trond today to do some skating on the lakes of the Susitna Valley.  I wish I could have joined them, but at least I got these nice photos from Big Lake.

I like this photo. Trond, with his olde speedskating hat on, and everyone else looking like speedskaters... except for Trevor, who looks like he's ready to take a faceoff for the Bruins.



  
And there was citizen sprint racing last weekend at Kincaid Park.  Who are these bears?





Training at Kincaid Park last week.



I think this is the part where we were talking about the suicidal squirrel that Michaela and Anna narrowly avoided running over during their last interval.

No comments:

Post a Comment