Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Skippy!

As far as I'm concerned, any day without skiing is a wasted day.  Live to ski and ski to die - that's what I say!  With all this Corona virus going around and no snow on the ground, it's been pretty boring around here lately. And when things get boring I do just like any sane person would - I get on the internet and surf around for some skiing.  If I can't go skiing myself, at least I want to see someone else skiing.

Fortunately, there's this thing I heard about called The Equator and the word going around is that everywhere south of the equator is in winter's icy grip right now. It seems crazy but I checked it out and it's true. Upside-down places like Australia have snowstorms and ski races when the regular, normal part of the world is in the middle of summer. Turns out we all know someone who's holed up in Australia right now - our old friend Casey Wright! She likes to ski almost as much as me, so I googled her and I found her lickety-split, all over the internet, winning pretty much everything there is to win down there.  Australia's having their biggest, most important races this week, and Skippy's putting on a clinic.  (She's not really putting on a clinic; that's just a figure of speech that means she's winning all the races.)

Casey raced in the 2018 Olympics for Australia. And I bet she'd like to ski in the Olympics this coming winter, too. But Covid restrictions have been very stringent in Australia from the very start of this pandemic fiasco, and it's been a long time since Casey did any ski races at all. I'm sure it's a big relief for her to find that, in her first races back after... what... a year and a half(?) she's winning the sprints and winning the distance races too!

Check out this TV show:

If you can't understand the words in the video, let me know and I will send you a transcript or something. I hung out enough with Skippy while she was here at UAA that I eventually got so I could understand most of this jibber jabber and can translate it into normal english.

No comments:

Post a Comment