Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Center Ridge Reconnaissance Mission

I have some advice for people coming to Alaska for Steffi and Karl's wedding next week:  Bring your ski boots.

(If you click on the pictures, they get way bigger and way better.)

This morning, I drove an hour south of Anchorage to see what kind of crust skiing conditions exist at Turnagain Pass.  I couldn't have been more pleased with what I found:

The snow was silky smooth, hard as a rock, and I found no tracks from any other skiers...


The lowest point on the ridge in the back-center of this photo was my ultimate destination.



My attempt at a self-picture:


 After skiing to the back of the valley and climbing the headwall, I was able to stand on the ridge after two hours of skiing and look down in to Placer Valley on the other side.  In the center is Spencer Glacier, the Alaska Railroad tracks, and the Placer River.

No comments:

Post a Comment